The internet has revolutionised the way we buy and sell property and the online property portals have provided platforms for consumers to search and view properties online 24/7.
Over the last number of years, a new breed of estate has evolved, better known as the “online agent”
easyProperty, Purplebricks, Emoov, House Simple and Yopa are some of the most well-known online agents but there are many more trying to grab a piece of the market place.
Below are some of the pro’s and con’s for both to help you decide which model is best for you:
High street agent
- Knowledge of the local market and the ability to tap into their database of interested buyers in that area.
- Professional model with superior negotiating skills. These guys are selling houses every day of the week and the right agent will be a master at marketing your property and getting you the best price.
- Managing and conducting viewings will all be taken care of as part of their fee.
- Managing the sale process from marketing to completion. The right estate agent will take the hassle and pressure out of your house sale.
- Can be expensive, charging anything from 0.5% to 3%.
- You have less control over the process.
- You can sell your property with an online agent from as little as £99.00
- Communicating with online estate agents can sometimes be easier as their call centres will be open late and at weekends.
- Online agents tend to offer more tailored packages and you can pick and choose specific services.
- An online agent may not have the same level of knowledge as a local agent when it comes to your specific location.
- You may have to conduct viewings yourself. Do you have the confidence and communication skills to do this, as well as the time?
- Most online agents will require you to pay up front for their services whether they sell your house or not.
- Due to the fact that most online agents charge a one-off fee rather than commission, they may have less incentive to get you the best possible price.